Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn)

Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn)
Bangkok, Thailand


I would like to share with you about my trip to Wat Arun and what I have learned about it.

I went to visit Wat Arun, otherwise known as Temple of Dawn, in the company of my sister and one of her generous and courteous students who gave us a tour around the temple's vicinity. Upon arrival at the site, we right away noticed that the temple of dawn consists of a massive elongated prang (technically known as Khmer-style tower) and which is even surrounded by four smaller prangs. According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, this massive elongated prang stands as high as 104 meters. The said prang is decorated by bits of porcelain which had previously been used as ballast by boats coming to Bangkok from China, which embarks the reign of RAMA III.

We got curious of what was instored for us atop the temple and so we decided to climb up to reach the peak and I thought it was the hard part of our trip but I was wrong.  Going down the steepy stairs was even harder that I even felt my bones wobbled.  I don't have fear of heights but if ever I did, it must have started on that very instant - going down those steepy ancient steps.  I saw many old ones and korean visitors who cried out for help, literally, asking for a rescue for them to be able to go down as it wasn't expected to have such a tremendous effect on all of our knees. =)

7 Response to "Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn)"

  1. Laane says:
    May 8, 2010 at 5:29 AM

    Oh my dear. There goes my dream of ever visitng and climbing the stairs.

    Wonderful photos!

  2. Miles says:
    May 8, 2010 at 6:19 AM

    Hello Laane. Thank you for the compliment. And yes, climbing and going down those steepy stairs had been a different experience.

  3. mellit Says:
    May 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM

    hi may! nice pix..daw sg una nga sibilisasyon. hehehe..mayo kay nakakwa ka damo na pix sa thailand..

  4. Miles says:
    May 11, 2010 at 5:15 AM

    hello ngmellit. yep, you know naman, kung makagwa sa balay, may bitbit gid nga digicam, thanks kay ngkaren, hehehe. napuslan ang yagangyang

  5. AudreyRose says:
    May 12, 2010 at 6:48 AM

    hahaha... lagangyang gd ya :D pero bilib ko may sa imo ah dasig magearn ang blog mo ba hehehe... kilanlan lang determinasyon kag update update update. ako ya tamad magupdate blog hehehe

  6. Travel and Holiday Tips in Indonesia says:
    May 16, 2010 at 9:43 PM

    Information about travel and holiday tips in Indonesia, Accomodation Guides, Hotel Reviews, Inn Reviews, Indonesian Hotels, Cheap Hotels, Budget Travels.

  7. Jessie says:
    July 20, 2011 at 9:19 AM

    Some hostels don’t take reservations. It’s first-come, first-served.

    Pousada Ubatuba

Post a Comment

I encourage everyone to share their own thoughts related to these articles

Powered By Blogger