How Certain Message Of Concerns Tend To Annoy Me

HEAR ME OUT


I am the fourth child in a family of 4 girls and 1 boy with myself being the youngest among the girls.  I was raised by a conservative Catholic family where most of the Filipino Traditions (with Spanish-like influence for a culture, I could fairly say) still take part in our day to day encounters within the members of the family and outwardly to those part of the social community.  Turning 31 this month.  Single.  Never dated a guy at all for "that" mere purpose alone.  Both by choice and by circumstances.  Yes!  You read 'em all right.  And not one angst you could see on my face for being in such a state.  I am pretty much accustomed to how I have moved, how my life has left its trails onto the past 3 decades of life and living.  I am simply saying that I am happy.  Period.

However, recently, I have been finding myself getting acquainted with lots of people, friends from grade school, high school and even from the university, well a handful of co-workers and family-friends too, who impulsively throw me a bunch of questions, unaware from within themselves that those questions had become so redundant and sober to my sense of hearing by this time.

"How are you?", "Are you working?", "Are you married now?", "But are you dating someone? or have you at least dated anybody before?", "How come?", "Well, stop storing up a bulk of 'greens' in your pockets and go spend sometime meeting people; socialize, will you!", "You're clock's ticking, girl!"

Golly! You just don't have any idea how many times I have heard those intruiging queries since the start of the present year to the point that I have already memorized them by heart and noticed that they're always thrown in the like sequence plus the follow-up statement, "You know what?  I know of a bachelor who's also not dating anyone, perhaps you should meet him."  Suddenly, my age has taken the 'center-stage of conversations and I've been placed on a 'hot seat'.  I even thought of making a recording of my own response to those questions so I may just have it replayed over and over whenever people ask me of the same.  Geez!  I am not bothered at all that I am still single at this time and age but it is the very event when people utter redundant questions which harasses me.

It is becoming obvious to me as if people were just expected to conform to the social norms like that of growing up, going to school, graduating from college, getting employed, meeting people and being in a loving/romantic relationship and then by the age of 30 should already have been married and have at least a kid or two.  Voila!  What a fairy-tale-like story!  Aaah!  The timeline, yes!  It is as if people should carefully look into the timeline of their lives and how to cautiously and consciously live within the grounds of those "age-range" alone; otherwise, you would find yourself deemed as either lonely or somewhat in trouble.

Oh my!  Can't people see it?  Can't they feel how those queries are beginning to sound annoying rather than statements of empathy or sympathy?  I know they were and still are concerned and they only care about me though they instead sound or sounded as if offering me pity.  Honestly I do appreciate their thoughtfulness; I really do.  But oh how I dread hearing those questions again and again.  Enough, please.  I am ok.  Very much ok.  I am blissfully ok.  Take that.  And don't worry, because when my time comes to walk down the aisle, I can just imagine it will surely be broadcasted to the people surrounding me beyond my control.  But for the time-being, please let me be.  I really wish you'd all see me as a Joyful Single Gal who is having a blast of her present life.  I had my reasons and I even had a "colorful" past.  I live by my own principles.  I am loved, I am in love, I live, I travel and I enjoy.  I am indeed SINGLE.  But I just want to get this message through:  My being single does not make me any less of a person.  Modesty aside, how many married couples have I met so far who could bravely say that the lives they're having are better off than the lives of those who are yet 'singles'?  Think about it.



11 Response to "How Certain Message Of Concerns Tend To Annoy Me"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    May 13, 2010 at 2:35 AM

    love your site..

  2. Miles says:
    May 13, 2010 at 2:48 AM

    Thank you soooo much. =)

  3. Anonymous says:
    May 13, 2010 at 3:21 AM

    Mayls, musta na? Married ka na? hehehe... pati ah. Ok lang na ya. I understand how you feel. lalo na pagfamily gatherings hays!

    Being single is priceless :D and single is sexy hehehe...

  4. Lagawan says:
    May 13, 2010 at 3:23 AM

    Mayls, Musta? married ka na? hehehe.. joke!!! Pati kana sa ila ok lang na ya. I understand how you feel. lalo na pagfamily gatherings hays! no comment na lang hehehe...


    Being single is priceless and single is sexy bla :D

  5. Anonymous Says:
    May 13, 2010 at 4:24 AM

    add me sa mga namangkot....still single?...hehehehe.....ok lng yan...wala p ung right guy cguro.....but it,s happy to have a partner in life but make sure u choose the right one.....ayaw mo non single blessedness......

  6. mellit Says:
    May 13, 2010 at 1:01 PM

    age doesn't matter..what's important is you're enjoying ur life..dali na di sa nz 4 more adventures!

  7. Anonymous Says:
    May 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM

    san-o ka pa mamana ya? hehehe...idugang mo ko da sa lista sang mga tawo nga naga annoy sa imo with such questions, hehehe. pero seriously, san-o ka pa tuod ya haw? ano pa ang ginahulat ta inday?

  8. Anonymous Says:
    May 15, 2010 at 4:30 AM

    hay kakapoy mag basa...basta ikaw agwantahon ko ni ya basahon ko gid tanan..hehhe..love you girl..mwah

  9. shiela Says:
    May 15, 2010 at 4:31 AM

    hay kakapoy mag basa..basta ikaw agwantahon ko ni ya basahon ko gid tanan.heheheh..love you girl..mwah

  10. Anonymous Says:
    May 22, 2010 at 7:15 AM

    i usually respond, dont worry ill invite u to my shotgun wedding tomorrow coz tonite ill put a love potion #3 to one of the gents i meet.. or ill say... ill say, wat will that bring me? staying at home tending for a lazy ass husband or an annoying child when i can ust travel and be carefree? no thanks! not the kind of lifestyle iwant as of yet. lol anne b.

  11. 1919Riverprince Says:
    May 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM

    Wow you are very good Miles! You entertained me with your sincerity and the clarity of your thoughts and understanding of the life you have chosen as of now. Not all people have discovered the independence, the beauty and the happiness of being one or single but not alone, of being one/single but contented and ask for nothing more, of being different/unique with the "usual/common" and yet can live with it and enjoy the reality of being different/unique...Ooh what a priceless gift!!! isn't it life is beautiful? because i am happy of who i am and i know who i am and what i want in life? You have my support and my prayer my dear. But it's not the end of it...do find your mission in life... Everyone has a calling and it is God who calls us even to those who does not believe in Him!!! Bless+

Post a Comment

I encourage everyone to share their own thoughts related to these articles

Powered By Blogger